[Borno]–President Muhammadu Buhari has said that Boko Haram reign in Nigeria has ended, as they will never be able to claim any part of the country.
He made this vow in Sambisa forest during the launch of the 2017 Nigerian Army Small Arms Championship, NASAC, on Monday, March 27, 2017.
The President, who was represented by by the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, said that holding the championship in the forest was an affirmation that government was “resolved to stamp out all activities and operations of the Boko Haram insurgents from our territory.”
Mr. Buhari said: “This championship is a showcase of the clear effect and degradation of the Boko Haram terrorist group with the destruction of Camp Zairo in the heart of the famous Sambisa forest.
“I can say categorically that never again will Boko Haram occupy any of our land.
“I want use this opportunity to congratulate the Nigerian Army for this achievement and reiterate at this point by noting that it is a case of professional training that brought the Nigerian Army to this length.”
The Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, had earlier said that the championship was held at the forest to consolidate on the gains achieved by troops in the north-east so far.
Meanwhile, the Federal Government has named the newly established Nigerian Army shooting range at the Sambisa forest after the late lieutenant colonel, Abu Ali.
Mr. Ali, who was the commander of an army formation at Mallam Fatori in Borno east, died in a battle on November 4, 2016 when Boko Haram terrorists attempted to invade and take the town.Please Follow Us @ThePageNg