[Kaduna]–At least 489 Nigerians have been killed as a result of the current meningitis outbreak in Nigeria, the Minister of Health, Professor Issac Adewole has said, adding that as at Monday, 4,637 cases of cerebrospinal meningitis were recorded across the country.
The Minister disclosed this figures during an emergency meeting of northern state governors and traditional rulers on Tuesday in Kaduna.
The minister said among the cases, 171 were confirmed to be the Type C meningitis with Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina, Niger and Kebbi states most affected, Premium Times reported.
He said so far 823,000 doses of conjugated Type C had been delivered to the Federal Government by the UK government, while UNICEF had delivered over 1 million Type A of the vaccines.
“Federal needed $1,087 billion to procure vaccines and administer on some 21 million persons against the meningitis in the affected states,” he said.
Zamfara state in the north is the worst hit with 216 deaths. Katsina, Kebbi, Niger and Sokoto states in northwest and north-central Nigeria also have seen cases since the disease surfaced in December.
He appealed to the traditional rulers in the region to be more proactive with media and other forms of campaigns to sensitise people on the needed for good hygiene and ventilation as well as avoid overcrowding in their homes.
Also at the event were Representatives of WHO, UNICEF, DIFD, NEMA are among others.
The Minister urged states government to combat corruption and ensure that the monies received are invested in ensuring a better healthcare system.
“You must stop corruption, when funds are released, utilise the funds properly by tracking and proper monitoring,” he said.
THE PAGE had earlier reported that the Minister of Health, professor Issac Adewole has declared treatment of meningitis free across Nigeria.Please Follow Us @ThePageNg